“Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it”.
– George Santayana
Through the study of history learners will continue to develop their understanding of the world by learning about other peoples and their values, in different times, places and circumstances. They develop an understanding of the history, heritage and culture around them, and an appreciation of their local and national heritage within the world. By studying the past they will also learn about themselves as members of a community, how it came about and its place in the wider world.
History fosters many important skills for life, including the development of the capacity for critical thinking through accessing, analysing and using information from a wide variety of sources, discussion and informed debate and the development of reasoned and justified points of view. Pupils will be given many opportunities to interact and work with others and to explore and evaluate different types of sources and evidence. In addition, the nature of the subject means that literacy skills are constantly developed in many different forms.
|National 4||National 5||Higher||Advanced Higher|
|Units of Study|
- developing and applying skills, knowledge and understanding across contexts from
- Scottish, British and European and world history
- evaluating the origin, purpose, content and/or context of historical sources
- evaluating the impact of historical developments, presenting information in a
- structured manner
- evaluating the factors contributing to historical developments, drawing reasoned
- conclusions supported by evidence with limited guidance, researching and analysing historical information
- developing a detailed and mostly accurate knowledge and understanding of
- historical themes and events in Scottish, British, European and world context
Employability, Enterprise & Citizenship
- Analysing and evaluating
- Any career in which you have to think logically and analytically.
- Any research position.
- Teaching at any level.
- Work within Government.
- Any career within the heritage industry.
Higher Paper 2 – Wednesday after school.
Higher Paper 1 – Thursday after school
National 5 – Thursday afterschool.