School Closure Information
School closure work can be found here
Modern Studies, unique to the Scottish curriculum, is the study of social, political and economic issues in the UK and around the world. Modern Studies has traditionally been associated with only politics, however pupils will learn in our department that this subject is so much more. Encompassing the principles of not only Politics, but also Economics and Sociology, Modern Studies thoroughly analyses our society and the world around us.
As Modern Studies is a subject that concentrates on current affairs it is always useful for pupils to access extra information outside of school. Apart from following the twitter feed at @RHS_modstuds, pupils can consult the current affairs/Modern Studies section of the school library. It is also useful to read a good quality newspaper and view current affairs television programmes such as Panorama, Dispatches, Newsnight etc. and news bulletins.
|National 4||National 5||Higher||Advanced Higher|
|Units of Study|
- developing and applying detailed skills, knowledge and understanding in political, social or international contexts
- with guidance, researching and using information collected from a range of sources about contemporary issues which are mostly familiar
- using a range of sources of information to detect and explain exaggeration and selectivity in the use of facts in mostly familiar political contexts
- giving detailed support for valid conclusions drawn from a range of sources of information
- demonstrating knowledge and understanding of the main democratic processes, institutions and organisations which make up political life in Scotland and/or the UK by giving factual descriptions and detailed explanations
- demonstrating knowledge and understanding of a major social issue in Scotland and the UK
- demonstrating knowledge and understanding of an international issue relating to a either a significant world power or contemporary world issue by giving factual descriptions and detailed explanations
- Information Handling
Employability, Enterprise & Citizenship
- Analysing and evaluating
- Any career in which you have to think logically and analytically.
- Any research position.
- Teaching at any level.
- Work within Government.
Mr Snedden’s pupils
Mr Snedden will be continuing with his on-going supported study sessions for all his pupils. Please see him for additional help and support with any aspect of your revision.
Mr Forbes and Mrs Reynold’s pupils
Tuesday 3rd March – Higher DME – room 7
Wednesday 4th March – N5 Development in Africa – room 8
Tuesday 10th March – Higher USA – room 8
Wednesday 11th March – N5 Crime – room 7
Tuesday 17th March – Higher Health and Wealth – room 7
Wednesday 18th March – N5 Democracy in Scotland – room 8
Tuesday 24th March – Higher Voting systems – room 8
Wednesday 25th March – N5 Selective in the use of facts – room 7
Tuesday 31st March – Higher global security – room 7
Wednesday 1st April – N5 conclusions – room 8
The Guardian newspaper
The Scotsman newspaper
BBC Learning Zone
Modern Studies Online
SQA Modern Studies for all levels
Education Scotland Modern Studies page
The Joseph Rowntree Foundation
The Poverty website
Amnesty International UK
Electoral Reform Society